Under the spotlight: twelve questions for Janet McDermott
Each month we’ll be taking the time to get under the skin of the Maitland Selwyn team members, to find out what makes them tick…and what ticks them off! This month, Janet McDermott, Sales Manage for the North West Region, will be answering the questions ……..
1. How and why did you join Maitland Selwyn?
I joined Maitland Selwyn because I was in the right place at the right time. The previous North West Manager decided to retire just as I had given my notice in and, as always, Maitland Selwyn was my first call.
I met with Chris and the rest is history!
2.Why have you stayed with the company so long?
So long? It’s been nearly 4 years I am almost a newbie compared to many of the staff. I would never leave it’s the best company I have ever worked for.
3. What’s your favourite thing about working for Maitland Selwyn?
The team are great, it’s like a big family and from day one I have felt like part of it.
4. What has been your best investment?
My family – crazy answer I know but I invest all my spare time and energy into them and I am so proud of them all.
5. What has been your favourite role, before joining Maitland Selwyn/entering property recruitment?
I would say my favourite role prior to Maitland Selwyn would have to be in the early days working for George Wimpey on site. I have lots of really happy memories and I am still in touch with most of my old colleagues.
6. What is your favourite room in your house and why?
This would be my bathroom and it’s because I designed it to be luxurious.
7. What’s your ultimate career ambition?
Boring as this may seem but I have reached it – waking up in the morning and being excited about working is the ultimate career for me.
8. What do you most dislike about your home?
Nothing, I love my home especially when it has children and grandchildren buzzing around it.
9. Have you any pets?
No, sadly my dog died just over a year ago.
10. What’s the first thing you would do if you won the lottery?
I would work out a plan to share it with my family and friends, and I would donate a large amount to my local hospice, and the homeless – the things close to my heart.
11. What is your favourite book and favourite song?
I love true stories and Autobiographies – too many to mention and favourite song, well, it must be Dance with my father again by Luther Vandross.
12. Finally, what 3 things would you take with you to a desert island?
My Sister, Ann, she would do the camp fire thing and we chat so much time would fly by, my phone to keep in touch as I don’t like isolation, and a toothbrush!